January 2, 2014

12 New Years Resolutions for 2014



I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm extremely excited for 2014. I feel that it will be the year of good karma. 

Not to put any shame on 2013, but as my boyfriend put it best, it was a transition year. I've transitioned out of an old way of thinking into a new way of being true to myself. The search for the dream job may be over, at least for now, and I've decided to make up my own. A little scary, but what better time then when you're 24 and have the world at your fingertips? 

As I proceed into 2014, I have given myself a little challenge: Twelve solid resolutions, one for each month, that I will revisit publicly on this blog. As the end fo , I will report back with my progress and some tips that I've learned along the way. (Note: This isn't the first time I've given myself a challenge, however I plan to make this the first time I truly follow through!)




I have to say, I'm spoiled with a delightfully large bedroom, however, I cannot seem to get the layout right - something always feels off. I plan to introduce concepts of Feng Shui including layout, color and placement of objects in order to bring the right flow of energy to my bedroom.


I always have this feeling that there must be something else I can do and to be honest, it gets exhausting. Introducing 15 minuets of meditation to my daily routine is a perfect way to slow down, clear my thoughts, and breathe.




Back to the dream job challenge! Over the past few years, I've watched one too many business ideas catch dust in an old notebook. If there is one thing I do in 2014, this will be it.


I have a horrible habit of getting very excited to read a book and then putting it down after the first two chapters, never to pick it up again. In a sense, I'm only "half-learning" which leads to frustration when trying to communicate what I've read. Instead of buying every interesting book that comes my way, I'm plan to make a conscience effort to choose wisely and flip every page.


The House of Emerald is something I've dreamed about since my senior year of college. The blogging world has been a way for me to develop a voice, seek my passions and discover countless individuals and businesses doing great things. Some of my small goals are to do one crafting post a week, link all social media outlets flawlessly and keep up with my resolution progress.


Receiving a NutriBullet for Christmas is a blessing in disguise. I'm one who doesn't believe in a diet but a lifestyle change, however it's easier said then done. In order to reach my goal I plan on adding good things into my diet rather then abruptly eliminating whole food groups. Starting off with a nutrient rich smoothie is a great way to set the mood for the rest of the day.


About a year ago, I decided that I was going to become a tea drinker. I never, and I mean never, liked tea. After constantly reading about the benefits of calming herbs and caffeine with no crash I knew it was time to introduce tea into my life. Every night I plan to wind down with a soothing cup of chamomile tea.


Spending time immersed in nature is truly rewarding. Unfortunately, I don't make enough of an effort to take advantage of my beautiful surroundings, the Hudson Valley. I'd like to walk or hike outdoors, in places new or old, at least once a week.


As I've become more aware of my diet and what I put into my body, I've also become aware of the fact that I don't spend enough time in the kitchen. I'm always rushing myself around, choose convenience over a proper meal and end up making poor food decisions. I'd like to start small with one new recipe a week, whether its salad dressing or roasting a turkey breast.


There is no better feeling then making something yourself. I always loved art class because at the end of the year or semester, you were able to take a step back and look at what you created. You didn't have words on 10 pages of computer paper stapled together. You had color, texture, subjects, hidden meaning and unique materials all wrapped into one. I'm sure people could argue the same for written materials, but not me. I want to make one new piece of art a week.


If I had a nickel for every time my father told me about the things I could get done if I only work up earlier. Ten years later, I finally know what he's talking about. I plan to rise earlier every day, even if it's just to have a slowly paced start to my day.


As I started this post, I mentioned that I believe 2014 will be the year of good karma and staying positive is a key factor. Everyone has their challenges, but remember, you get back what you put into the universe. There is always a new day (hopefully) and there is always something to be grateful for. I plan to put good vibes into the world in 2014.


What makes me proud of these resolutions is that there is no elimination. You hear so many people say things like they won't drink, or they won't eat bad food, or they won't watch so much TV. I've made plenty of resolutions like that and they always fail. While there will always be suffering, follow the basic teachings of karma and realize that by adding goodness, only goodness can come.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment